Originally built during the Klondike Gold Rush as a single-room occupancy hotel, the landmarked Palihotel Seattle boasts 96 boutique hotel rooms with restaurant and retail space. The renovated hotel, originally built in 1898, has maintained its charm and legacy, marrying its former life as The Colonnade and the Gatewood with modern amenities and style.
The four-story URM structure received a full restoration and retrofit of the exterior façade. A modern canopy marks the entrance, and the masonry keystone of the original entry was salvaged and repurposed as a walk-up coffee window (which resides in the same location as the 1908 Colonnade Café). The new exterior awnings are reminiscent of the era and the storefronts along Pine Street were updated to match its classic charm. We collaborated closely with the preservation board, architect, and general contractor to install an unobtrusive braced frame to increase seismic strength, minimizing the impact on historic elements and maximizing room sizes.
The Palihotel opened its doors to guests Fall of 2018 and represents our third historic hotel renovation in the Pike Place neighborhood.
Project Team: Owner: Lighthouse Investments, LLC. / Architect: Gensler / General Contractor: JTM Construction / Structural Engineer: Coughlin Porter Lundeen / Mechanical Engineer: GLUMAC / Electrical Engineer: Sazan Group
Photographer: Heywood Chan
More info: palisociety.com
The State Hotel
The total transformation of the neglected, yet significant, corner between Pike Place Market and the Central Business District is a powerful testament to vision and tenacity. Today, the glamorous State Hotel beckons guests, marrying historical elements with handsome new features. The project represents a restored connection between the historic waterfront market and neighborhoods up and down Second Avenue.
The top-to-bottom makeover of the landmarked, 100-year-old Eitel Building included restoration of seven stories of the original structure, the addition of an eighth floor with suites and a small rooftop observation deck, and a complete seismic retrofit. The street level restaurant, Ben Paris, recalls Seattle history, too. It’s convivial namesake was a successful Seattle businessman and conservationist who operated a restaurant and bar in the original building’s basement. Preservation of the brick façade and the original archway over the lobby entrance are juxtaposed with a striking, five-story Shepard Fairey mural on the west side.
Since its grand opening in March, the State Hotel has received ENR Northwest’s “Best Renovation/Restoration Project,” Seattle Business Magazine’s “Best Preservation Project of the Year (Gold),” and Historic Seattle’s coveted “Best Preservation Project Award.”
Project Team: Owner: Lake Union Partners / Architect: Weinstein A+U Architects and Urban Designers / General Contractor: Exxel Pacific / Structural & Civil Engineer: Coughlin Porter Lundeen / Masonry Restoration: CASE Forensics / Mechanical & Electrical Engineer: GLUMAC
Photographer: Michasel Walmsley Photography, LLC
More info: statehotel.com
Lodge at St. Edwards
This historic seminary is undergoing a transformation that will revive the dormant 90,000-square-foot building into a boutique, lodge-style getaway. The venue will feature 80-100 guest rooms, a spa, restaurant and café, three bars, and multiple event spaces.
The original structure was designed by prominent Seattle architect, John Graham Sr., whose firm designed many Seattle landmarks, including the Space Needle. The four-story masonry-clad concrete building with a six-story bell tower opened its doors to students in 1931. The seminary then closed in the late 70’s, and disrepair and deferred maintenance followed.
Respectful of the state-registered landmark status, the Romanesque Revival façade and Art Deco interiors are being carefully restored to their original condition (using 97 percent of the original materials). The renovation primarily addresses critical life safety impacts but also includes a new garage and porte-cochère necessary to support lodge functions. This public-private partnership grants an extended lease to Daniels Real Estate to operate the lodge and expanded recreational uses for park guests through an agreement with Washington State Parks. The re-purposed retreat is set to open summer 2020!
Project Team: Owner: Daniels Real Estate / Architects: Ron Wright & Associates + Architects / General Contractor: Lydig Construction / Structural & Civil Engineer: Coughlin Porter Lundeen / Mechanical Engineer: Pinchiff Mechanical / Electrical Engineer: Sequoyah Electric, LLC.
Rendering: Ron Wright & Associates / Architects
More info: thelodgeatstedward.com