The Union Station redevelopment helped interweave Seattle’s International District, Pioneer Square, and the SODO Business District by creating a dynamic commercial campus. This urban infill project transformed an abandoned rail yard into a high-tech campus in the middle of Seattle’s oldest neighborhood. Built in 1911, the historic Union Station structure received a complete seismic renovation and is now home to the Sound Transit regional headquarters. Planning efforts for the new development concentrated on designing the underground parking garage to act as a base structure supporting the plaza area and four office buildings. The expansive pedestrian plaza on top of the garage not only provides a vital link between the office buildings, but connects to the adjacent Metro Bus Tunnel, creates a link to King Street Station, and serves as a gateway to Century Link and Safeco Fields. Complex utility re-routes for the project were closely coordinated with the driven pile foundation system to ensure utilities remained operational throughout construction. A groundwater monitoring system was incorporated into the below-grade utility design to verify containment of any contaminated groundwater left behind from the site’s former use.
68,000 SF, 1.5 acres